Kids Helpline @ School
Connect your primary school classroom to a Kids Helpline counsellor for free!
- Free, early intervention and prevention sessions for primary schools in Australia
- Facilitated by a qualified Kids Helpline Counsellor via a video link
- Evidence-informed lessons that are educational and interactive in a fun, engaging environment
- Counsellor can work with you to tailor each session to the needs of your school or class
Kids Helpline @ School learning intentions:
- Improve students' mental health literacy and emotional intelligence
- Promote positive overall health and wellbeing
- Assist students to develop greater resilience and self-efficacy
- Normalise and encourage help-seeking behaviours
- Enhance students' communication skills within interpersonal relationships
- Encourage positive digital citizenship
About Our Sessions
Free sessions are available to all primary schools Australia-wide. Kids Helpline counsellors encourage safe, open and inclusive discussions about a range of topics relevant to students' lives. Sessions are all evidence-informed, contain fun, interactive components and may also include scenarios or videos to engage students in problem solving.
Kids Helpline @ School has two streams of curriculum aligned topics, Digital and Wellbeing.
Optus Digital Thumbprint with Kids Helpline stream aims to promote digital:
- Safe and responsible technology use
- Critical thinking about mass media
- Digital footprint/online reputation
- Online respect, empathy and resilience
Bupa Wellbeing stream learning intentions:
- Improve emotional intelligence
- Enhance coping strategies and overall wellbeing
- Develop resilience strategies
- Improve communication skills in interpersonal relationships
Benefits for schools:
- Access to externally run sessions designed to empower young people by recognising and developing their strengths/skills
- Build a safe relationship with counsellors to support student help-seeking
- Promote accessibility to Kids Helpline which is available to support students at any time (24/7) for any reason (via telephone/online services)
- Sessions can be tailored/personalised to better suit your school/class/students
- Topics are aligned with the Australian curriculum and relevant to the current school environment
- Access to free, professional and educational/informational resources
In 2017, 24,221 primary school students from 221 schools participated in a total of 810 sessions with a Kids Helpline Counsellor.
Results of an evaluation study of the Optus Digital Thumbprint stream indicate high levels of awareness of topic content in students who attended sessions. 97% of teachers reported sessions were likely to have improved students' understanding of the topic discussed and 85% of grades 4-6 students gained ideas about how to deal with the issue discussed.
Book a free session at your school!
Resources from our partners
yourtown is an eSafety Certified Online Safety Program Provider.
The Office of the eSafety Commissioner website also provides age-based resources and lesson plans for primary and secondary students.
KidsMatter provides schools with a range of resources to help them support children's mental health and wellbeing. Teachers can find learning packs and other resources on their website. Learn more about the Kids Helpline and KidsMatter partnership in this PDF.