What is shyness?
Shyness is a feeling...
Just as sometimes we can feel happy or sad or disappointed, sometimes we can also feel shy. And, like all feelings, shyness comes and goes.
When you are feeling shy you might:
- have butterflies in your stomach
- feel your heart beating really fast
- feel a bit sick
- feel like hiding
- wish you were invisible, or
- wish you were anywhere else in the world but where you are!
Shyness is when, even though you would like to do something or join in, you don't feel you can. Some kids feel shy when someone asks them a question directly, or when they have to stand up in front of the class and talk. Shyness can:
- stop you taking part in games and activities that are new to you
- stop you going into places (such as the playground at school) unless there is someone you know with you
- make you feel embarrassed when you get attention - even good attention!